Milk Allergies
We think Annabelle (age 2) might be allergic to milk. We have suspected it before and never did anything about it. When she was somewhere around 10 months old she had diarrhea for 3 months. They did all sorts of tests on her but no allergy tests. It went away and we didn't think anything else of it. About 3 months ago she got Hand, Foot, and Mouth Syndrome. After that she had red, rash-like cheeks always accompanied with a runny nose. Lotions and creams didn't help. I suspected some sort of allergy because of the runny nose.
Then, this last weekend we had some family visiting from out-of-state. The mom, Marsella, noticed Annabelle's cheeks. She told us that's what her 16 year old's cheeks looked like when she was little and with a runny nose. They took her to the doctor and found out she had a milk allergy. Now when she has anything with milk in it, it's not her cheeks or nose anymore...it's her stomach.
I got looking up symptoms online and found out there is a difference between a milk allergy and lactose intolerance. A milk allergy affects the immune system with rashes around the mouth, runny nose, and stomach problems. Lactose intolerance is a digestion problem with diarrhea, gas, and stomach problems. After her bout with diarrhea when she was 10 months old, she hasn't had problems with it. So, between the two it would definitely be the milk allergy.
We are trying it out this week, no milk. It's been tough! Even most bread has milk in it. We've stuck with it pretty closely though. I know we are trying to self diagnose the problem but if we went to the doctor he would have us do the same thing. They say it takes about a week for it to get out of the system, if it doesn't seem to help I think we're going to have to bring her in to the doctor. I believe she is allergic to something though. Just hope it's not too bad.
Then, this last weekend we had some family visiting from out-of-state. The mom, Marsella, noticed Annabelle's cheeks. She told us that's what her 16 year old's cheeks looked like when she was little and with a runny nose. They took her to the doctor and found out she had a milk allergy. Now when she has anything with milk in it, it's not her cheeks or nose anymore...it's her stomach.
I got looking up symptoms online and found out there is a difference between a milk allergy and lactose intolerance. A milk allergy affects the immune system with rashes around the mouth, runny nose, and stomach problems. Lactose intolerance is a digestion problem with diarrhea, gas, and stomach problems. After her bout with diarrhea when she was 10 months old, she hasn't had problems with it. So, between the two it would definitely be the milk allergy.
We are trying it out this week, no milk. It's been tough! Even most bread has milk in it. We've stuck with it pretty closely though. I know we are trying to self diagnose the problem but if we went to the doctor he would have us do the same thing. They say it takes about a week for it to get out of the system, if it doesn't seem to help I think we're going to have to bring her in to the doctor. I believe she is allergic to something though. Just hope it's not too bad.
Comments
Post a Comment