Letter identification - doctor's office

The first time I taught phonics I picked up a book called Literacy Play: over 300 dramatic play activities that teach pre-reading skills. It is a great book there was only problem, I didn't notice the "pre-reading skills" part. It's more for preschool age. I still love it though because it has a lot of great theme ideas inside. Helps get you thinking. I'll also use it for when I need a theme for birthday parties and such.

One of the themes in the book was a visit to the doctors office. I adapted it to kindergarten level and had fun too.

Supplies : doctor's kit, name tags (receptionist, doctor, nurse, patient), eye chart, sign in sheet, pencil, clipboard, alphabet puzzles for those in the waiting room

Give each child a name tag. The receptionist sits at the table with the sign in sheet, pencil and clipboard. You take the patient into the room, "we're going to the doctor today." Have the receptionist welcome and invite patient to sign their name on the clipboard. The nurse comes to get the patient and points to the letters on the eye chart. (Help them when they get stuck. Most recognized most of the letters. Remember to be sensitive to those who don't know the letters yet or have a hard time seeing.) Only spend a minute there so everyone can have a turn. The nurse then takes the patient to the exam room where the doctor gives shots, takes temperature, ect. Then it is time to switch. Since I only had 15 minutes not everyone always got a turn at everything. Next time I will bring a timer.

Comments

Popular Posts