The Joy of seeing Children gain a Testimony Talk

· There was a wonderful talk given by Elder K. Brett Nattress Of the Seventy during the October session of General conference that is titled “No Greater Joy Than to Know That They Know.” I love the topic of joy! It’s such a fun uplifting subject. In this talk he talks about the joy that comes when our children gain a testimony of Jesus Christ. I am so blessed to be able to talk on this wonderful topic today! I would also like to extend his talk a little bit to include the joy Heavenly Father feels when we gain our own testimonies.
· During his talk Elder Nattress tells of his childhood. He tells about being such an active kid that his mom as afraid that he wouldn’t make it to adulthood. She struggled to raise this young active boy. He was the second child of 6 kids and in his mom's set of scriptures he found just one goal written there. It said, “Patience with Brett.” His name is Brett. His mom was really trying to do everything she could to raise him right. She would read the Book of Mormon to them every morning while they ate their cereal. They sat quietly but they weren’t listening. He says that one morning, I decided to square up with my mother. I exclaimed, “Mom, why are you doing this to us? Why are you reading the Book of Mormon every morning?” I then made a statement that I am embarrassed to admit to. In fact, I can’t believe I actually said it. I told her, “Mom, I am not listening!”
Her loving response was a defining moment in my life. She said, “Son, I was at a meeting where President Marion G. Romney taught about the blessings of scripture reading. During this meeting, I received a promise that if I would read the Book of Mormon to my children every day, I would not lose them.” She then looked me straight in the eyes and, with absolute determination, said, “And I will not lose you!”
Her words pierced my heart. Notwithstanding my imperfections, I was worth saving! She taught me the eternal truth that I am a son of a loving Heavenly Father. I learned that no matter what the circumstance, I was worth it. This was a perfect moment for an imperfect little boy.
· I am inspired by that story because even though we read the scriptures together almost every night. My family doesn’t always listen very well. But there are nights when someone is listening and it starts a little discussion. Those nights make everything worth it. I believe the Book of Mormon is true. It contains the gospel of Jesus Christ. If we read it to our children every day then we will not loose them. Elder Nattress says that he is unaware of anyone who is diligently reading the Book of Mormon each day with pure intent and with faith in Christ who has lost their testimony and fallen away. Moroni’s prophetic promise carries with it the key to know the truth of all things—including having the ability to discern and avoid the deceptions of the adversary. (See Moroni 10:4–5.)
· He asks a question I want you to think about. “If all that your children knew of the gospel came from you—as their only source—how much would they know?” This question applies to all those who love, mentor, and influence children. So everyone!
· I am so blessed to be able to be in the Primary. I get to see the children in this Ward on a regular basis. I love them! I am always amazed at their faith and their ability to understand. Despite the challenges of their little active bodies. I love their parents, leaders and teachers who work so hard and teach the rising generation the Gospel.
· The gospel is truly about the one. it is about one little boy who might claim he is not listening. It is about each one of us—as imperfect as we may be—becoming one with the Savior as He is one with His Father (see John 17:21).It is about one prodigal son (see Luke 15:11–32). We just read about the Prodigal Son last night as a family. Then we had a small discussion about it what it was about. It’s about the love Heavenly Father has for everyone of his children.
· At this stage in our lives we are reading one story out of the illustrated scriptures for children every night. We weren’t always very good about reading the scriptures as a family every day. It’s been a process. I always knew that we should study the scriptures as a family every day but it wasn’t until my good friend, Analee, who was standing at this very pulpit was talking about getting her family starting to read the scriptures together. That is when it finally clicked in my mind that we could do it too. We could indeed read the scriptures every night as a family. It took some adjusting and figuring out what works for our family at this stage in our lives. But most every night we read the scriptures together.
· During our scripture study we do something quite unique. We take turns sharing something. So every night it’s a different person’s turn and they could share anything they would like; a talent, story, something they learned at school, anything. The other day it was Annabelle’s turn, she’s my 8 year old, she asked us to all write and share our testimonies. My heart was just bursting with joy! I was so happy she found joy in testimonies too! My work is not done. A testimony is something that you must always strengthen.
· Is there any greater gift that we can impart to our children than a memory burned deep into their hearts that we know that our Redeemer lives? Do they know that we know? And more important, have they come to know for themselves that He lives?
· I find joy that my kids enjoy going to church. Not everyone's that lucky and I feel very blessed. There is a boy in our neighborhood that we carpool to school with. They don’t go to church and they are a really good family. I’ve heard Brooklyn and Annabelle say things like, “you should come to church on Sunday” all on their own. I didn’t tell them to say that. It brings me much joy.
· I'm always telling my kids that they have to, HAVE TO gain their own testimonies as soon as possible. You can rely on and others testimony as long as you need to. But the sooner you gain your own testimony the better off you'll be. And you must keep growing it and make it stronger and stronger.
· Being a parent has helped me to have a glimpse through Heavenly Fathers eyes. I get so excited when my kids do the right things! When they start understanding and gaining their very own testimonies! I just jump for joy and almost can’t believe it! I can’t imagine Heavenly Fathers joy when we do the right things and work hard on our testimonies. I like to imagine angels on the other side shouting for joy when we finally understand. You have a lot of support on the other side of the veil. Look around here, you have a lot of support here as well.
· So how do we strengthen our kids and our own testimonies? We pray with our children every day. We read the scriptures with them every day. We teach them to serve others, so that they can lose themselves in the service of others (see Mosiah 2:17). As we devote ourselves to these simple patterns of discipleship, we empower our children with the love of the Savior and with divine direction and protection as they face the fierce winds of the adversary.
· The Bishopric recently created this checklist to find out where you are on your personal journey because everyone is at different stages. I believe this was inspired. If you don’t have a copy, I’ll be passing them out in Primary today and I know that Bishop will have them in his office. It helps you to figure out what you are doing well at and what you need to work harder on. They even have scripture references so you know they aren’t just making this stuff up. This is also a form of support.
· I don’t know if anything in this world could bring more happiness and joy than to know that our children know the Savior. That is why, as members of the Church we testify of Christ. How else are they going to know? Unless we preach and testify of Christ.
· A testimony in Jesus Christ is the Cornerstone & should be the center of our testimony. You can aim at different aspects of the Gospel. But you will cannot have the full meaning the gospel if you do not centered in on Jesus Christ Our Savior.
· I am also grateful for a loving Heavenly Father and for His Son, Jesus Christ.His love for us is immeasurable. He is our truest friend.Because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, we can live with the promise that no matter what our struggles may be, we can always have hope in Him, “who is mighty to save” (2 Nephi 31:19). Because of His Atonement, we can have joy, peace, happiness, and eternal life.
· I like to imagine the Savior’s ministering visit to the ancient inhabitants of America. As I have pondered His loving and tender care I have imagined being a little child when he was there. I have also thought about individual children whom I love more than life itself. I have tried to conceive of how I would feel to personally witness the Savior inviting each child to come unto Him, to witness the Savior’s outstretched arms, to stand by as each child, one by one, gently feels the prints in His hands and in His feet, and then to see each of them stand and bear record that He lives! To have our children turn to me and say, “Mom, it’s Him!”
· Heavenly Father is joyful when we listen and gain our own testimonies of the true gospel of Jesus Christ. You are worth it!
· I am eternally grateful for all angels who love children perfectly, notwithstanding their imperfections. I am grateful for angels throughout the Church who boldly and lovingly proclaim eternal truths to Heavenly Father’s children. Parents, leaders, teachers, friends, and neighbors. It truly takes a village to raise a child. How are you influencing a child today?
· We have a loving Heavenly Father! Who sends angels, those you can see and those you can’t, into our lives to lead us out of the fog.
· It is my prayer that we will devote our hearts and our hands to helping all of Heavenly Father’s children to know Him and to feel His love. As we do, He promises us eternal joy and happiness in this world and in the world to come. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

  1. Intro- the question, his story, how it applies to everyone
  2. Being a Parent, My kids and primary-finding joy
  3. Building testimony
  4. Savior’s Love
  5. Summary

Comments

Popular Posts