Challenge: Create your own personal mission statement

I was listening to a talk on CD called The Loss of the Sacred by Matthew Richardson.  In it he talks about everyone trying to find solutions to the world's problems but that maybe everyone has it all wrong.  What is wrong with the world?  Nothing is sacred anymore...marriage, our bodies, education.  When we don't hold things sacred then everything starts falling apart.  Marriages deteriorate, drug abuse, improper education... are just some of the problems our society is faced with.  That got me into thinking and wrote a list of some things that are most sacred to me.

1. The Gospel of Jesus Christ
2. Partaking of the Sacrament
3. My Family
4. My Eternal Marriage
5. Education
6. Good Health/Exercise
7. Obey the Word of Wisdom
8. The United States Constitution
9. Honesty

The Sunday after I finished listening to this talk on CD, there was a talk given in Church about making a personal mission statement.  The speaker was talking about how he was frustrated with the company he was working for, it seemed to have no goals, nothing to aim for and therefore wasn't successful. One day they decided they would make a mission statement.  Ever since that day the company had a focus, they were able to get rid of the things that didn't match their goals and focus on what will help accomplish them.

I copied this from http://www.missionstatements.com "A mission statement defines in a paragraph or so any entity's reason for existence. It embodies its philosophies, goals, ambitions and mores. Any entity that attempts to operate without a mission statement runs the risk of wandering through the world without having the ability to verify that it is on its intended course."
I don't think it was a coincidence listening to these two talks so close together.   I had written my list before Sunday and realized I had made an outline of my mission statement.  So, let's see if I could put it all together now.  I challenge you to make your own.  Here is my personal mission statement:
I am committed to being an example for good in my own family as well to those I come in contact with.  That you can have more fun and are healthier if you are obedient to the Gospel of Jesus Christ and obey the Word of Wisdom.  To teach myself, my children and those around me to be honest, hard working and to uphold the United States Constitution.  To love my husband and hold our eternal marriage sacred and raise our children with righteousness and love.

Comments

Popular Posts